Women's & Gender Studies Minor
The Women’s and Gender Studies minor is an interdisciplinary program which takes gender as its central category of analysis in the examination of social, cultural, economic, and aesthetic systems. Courses focus on the social construction of gender identity, gender relations, and gender systems. Through discussions and engaged learning experiences, you study how gender intersects with multiple and complex categories of identity, including race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, and nationality. A research-focused capstone seminar allows you to explore topics in more depth. Beyond classroom experiences, the minor gives you opportunities for internships, advocacy, networking and professional activities related to diversity and gender equality issues.
Required Courses - 6 hrs.
- WGS 200: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies - 3 hrs.
- WGS 400: Directed Research in Women’s and Gender Studies - 3 hrs.
Electives Courses (choose three) - 9 hrs
- ART 490: Art Seminar (Gender in Art) - 3 hrs.
- ART 490: Art Seminar (Women in Art) - 3 hrs.
- BLW 446: Employment Law - 3 hrs.
- COM 386: Media, Race, and Gender - 3 hrs.
- EHC 381: Seminar in Leadership (Topics: Advocacy, Servant Leadership, or Gender and Leadership) - 1 hr.
- ENG 129: African American Literature - 3 hrs.
- ENG 190: Women in Literature - 3 hrs.
- ENG 331: Studies in Women Writers - 3 hrs.
- ENG 347: Shakespeare - 3 hrs.
- HIS 304: Women in American History - 3 hrs.
- HIS 315: Social Movements in U.S. History - 3 hrs.
- HIS 317: American Masculinities - 3 hrs.
- HIS 334: Women in Developing Nations - 3 hrs.
- HIS 339: Women in Global Perspective - 3 hrs.
- HIS 382: European Women and Gender Since the Renaissance - 3 hrs.
- NUR 217: Men's Health Issues - 2 hrs.
- NUR 219: Women and Health - 3 hrs.
- NUR 263: Introduction to Personal and Community Health - 3 hrs.
- NUR 376: Advanced Concepts in Health - 3 hrs.
- PLS 493: Seminar in Political Theory: Equality, Diversity, and Citizenship - 3 hrs.
- PSY 300: Psychology of Women - 3 hrs.
- PSY 309: Human Sexuality - 3 hrs.
- SOC 210: Sociology of Families - 3 hrs.
- SOC 300: Cross-cultural Perspectives on Gender - 3 hrs.
- SOC 311: Comparative Family Systems - 3 hrs.
- SOC 313: Race, Ethnicity, and Power - 3 hrs.
- SOC 315: Gender and Society - 3 hrs.
- WGS 300: Internship in Women's and Gender Studies - 0-3 hrs.
- WLS 345: Women's Voices of Latin America - 3 hrs.
- WLS 346: Women's Voices of Spain - 3 hrs.